Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Drilling a hole in a canoe called Hawaii Nei

I’m not an active member of a church, nor am I a social worker or a member of the law enforcement community - groups that routinely organize to oppose legalizing gambling. What I am is a community member that has spent most of my adult life working professionally and volunteering to make a difference in a community I care deeply about. And like many others, my family and many close friends enjoy regular trips to Las Vegas for stints of gambling and entertainment.

With that said, I don’t agree that Hawaii should legalize gambling. Here’s why.

Supporters of legalizing gambling in Hawaii say that it is needed for the good of our state’s future. I am not convinced that this is the greater good.

When you look at all that we deal with and are trying to better, legalizing gambling would be like pouring kerosene onto a fire we are anxious to extinguish. Communities in Hawaii are experiencing a tremendous strain, but continue to work hard to bring hope to and support the wellbeing of struggling neighbors, families and friends.

Our homeless population on Maui alone is close to 2,000. Forget about percentage. We’re talking about individuals. Over 4,000 high school students drop out in Hawaii every school year. Workers in Hawaii are four times more likely to test positive for meth than the national average. Every four hours, somewhere in Hawaii a child is abused or neglected. Our island youth nearly double the national average of attempted suicide. There are many other serious issues facing our island families that have been made worse by an economic recession. Indeed, we’ve got our work cut out for us.

So I was amazed to see House Bill 288. Written to permit a casino to be operated with a 20-year license, set up a Hawaii Gaming Commission, and intended to be effective July 2012 - four months from now.

The bill acknowledges that there will be a noticeable social impact to our state. Ironically, the bill graciously requires that funds raised from operating a casino help pay for a “Compulsive Gamblers Program”.

The proposed bill points out expected negative impacts with an ominous statement: “Due to the imminent peril to public health, safety, or morals….” as it sets Nevada’s gaming rules as Hawaii’s interim rules. Acknowledging that danger is looming offers no confidence or comfort for our future.

Currently HB288 is deferred. Providing it is not resuscitated before the legislature adjourns May 3, this may be the last we see of it in this session.

Whether through work or volunteering, thousands of people in our islands do many things in many ways to strengthen and enrich lives. Reducing and removing obstacles instead of adding hurdles for people to stumble over.

This is why I struggle to understand why legalizing gambling in Hawaii would be “good for us”. We can barely deal with what exists today in our communities.

To welcome legalized gambling while knowing the adverse impacts to a community would be akin to sitting in a swamped canoe on the ocean that’s rapidly filling with water and having someone hand you a drill to make a hole in the hull. Not the best option and it could sink the canoe altogether. About that hole that’s now permanently put in the hull structure? It will need to be patched up later. The overall integrity and value of the hull now jeopardized.

Because we have to get the water out doesn’t mean drilling a hole is the best option. When a canoe gets swamped, it’s all hands on deck. Grab a bailer and get the water out. Look out for all crew members in case someone’s hurt or got swept away. Other available canoes come to your aid. Swim the canoe to shore if you must and everyone – including those on shore watching – become involved to help get it drained and dry.

I’ve watched the yearly attempts to legalize gambling in Hawaii and I keep thinking it is a drill to a swamped canoe. A canoe called Hawaii Nei.

A 20-year fix of slot machines can reap tens of millions to a mainland gaming organization. It could also reap more than we are ready to handle in our communities, adding to issues already needing attention.

While I respect efforts to address the dire economic conditions our islands face today – I cannot agree that legalizing gambling would bring us closer to raising prosperity and wellness for our community. It would be a giant step backwards to all the hard work many do to move forward.